Types of Paving Slabs: Their Advantages and Disadvantages
A flat piece of stone used for the purpose of paving is called a Paving Slab. Deciding a paving slab is not an easy decision as each paving slab has its own benefits and drawbacks. In this article, we shall be discussing various types of Paving Slabs and will also list their advantages and disadvantages which shall give you enough knowledge so that you can easily decide which paving slab suits your requirements.
Types of Paving Slabs:
Slate Paving Slabs:
Unlike other paving slabs which are made from grains and mixture of other minerals that are mostly tightly packed together over high temperatures, Slate Paving Slabs are made in layers. This makes them unique from other paving slabs that are available in the market.
- Color does not fade away as easily as in limestone’s
- Extremely durable
- Due to its low absorption rate, it is resistant to water damage
- These are not easy to install
- If ideal weather conditions are not provided, the layers can flake off
- If not treated regularly, the moisture is inevitable
- These are highly resistant to wear and tear.
- These are highly durable in areas where the temperatures are very high
- These are easily maintained due to their durable nature.
- These are pleasing to the eye as they come in various ranges and designs.
- These are heavy
- These are difficult to install
- These are more expensive than standard slate paving slabs
One of the most easily available type of paving slab in the market are the Indian Stone Paving Slabs the reason for which is the wide range of color, durability. The reason for its durability is the silicon whose molecules are tightly packed together making it the paving slab of choice for most of the customers.
- Available in various colors.
- Can be easily cleaned
- Highly durable and lasts almost a lifetime
- Easy to cut
- Shows up blotches occasionally
- If the weather conditions are not ideal, these can fade overtime
- The surface can sometimes become rough.
Granite Paving Slabs:
If you are looking for paving slabs that can stand heavy foot traffic, granite paving slabs should be your first choice. It is one of the few paving slabs that is natural and is not man made. This property makes it durable and water cannot permeate the granite.
- Retaining of dust is not easy thus these are easy to use
- Comes in a variety of color
- Can handle heavy foot traffic
- Granite paving slabs are non-porous i.e. water cannot damage its surface
- Not easy to cut
- Installing these is a labor extensive task
Limestone Paving Slabs:
Pleasing to the eye, aesthetic looking, a wide range of variety and durable, limestone paving slabs check all the boxes of being the best type of paving slabs out there in the market. These are pretty much similar to Indian Stone Paving Slabs but in limestone paving slabs, the mixture is composed of lime and silicon.
- Easy to cut and work with
- Durable and can withstand various climatic conditions
- Creates stunning textures
- Available in a wide range of variety
- Color may fade away much quicker
- Even though the it varies in variety but still has less value than Indian Stone Paving Slabs
- If not treated properly, acid damage can be pretty common
Black Paving Slabs:
Black paving slabs are not actually a separate type of slabs but are a subtype of limestone paving slabs. People who are a fan of black color and want to keep things simple, they tend to go for black paving slabs.
- Pleasing to the eye
- Great and wide range of textures
- Color can fade away much quicker if not treated properly
- Just like limestone paving slabs, the acid damage is very common
Eco Paving Slabs:
This type of paving slab includes the use of natural stone. The main aim of using eco paving slabs is to go green and save the environment. Luckily, Indian stone, limestone and sandstone are when cracked, can be crushed together and can be recycled again to create a new type of recycled paving slab.
- These are environment friendly
- Can be recycled over and over again
- Are suitable for heavy foot traffic
- Are not easily available in the market
- Are not durable to different weather conditions
600x600 Paving Slabs:
The 600 arrangement paving design is well known with gardeners as it is normally simpler to calculate and work with rather than 560 arrangement paving slabs.
The 600 paving slab series is the 600 x 600 mm slab. This configuration is mainstream with the home owners and mortgage holders. Home owners like 600 x 600 slabs since they are not very large and can be lifted and laid without requiring a second pair of hands. Their uniform size likewise makes computations and laying designs a less difficult undertaking, with less material wastage and off-cuts required.
- Extremely easy to work with
- The calculations are done easily for their installment
- They are available in wide range of materials
- Cover over more area in less cost
- If calculations of the area are done properly their fitting can be difficult
- If they are not handled with care, they can break even before the installment
- They are required to be solid base otherwise will break into smaller pieces
In this article, we have discussed various paving slabs, their pros and cons. We are hopeful that the above listed paving slabs’ advantages and disadvantages will make your decision much easier while choosing the paving slab that best suits your needs.
Slate Paving Slab: https://www.ohanaoutdoorliving.com/a-quick-look-at-the-pros-and-cons-of-slate-pavers/