Frequently Asked Questions
Slate Hearth FAQ'sCan we visit you to see the hearth before ordering online
- Can we view the hearth before ordering online? Yes you can, we keep a number of hearths at our warehouse in Milton Keynes, just get in touch if you want to come over and we will make sure there a a few to view
- Can I collect for a reduced price? Yes you can, we offer a collect price of £75 including VAT from our warehouse in Milton Keynes
- I am a trade buyer and I am looking for a regular supply, is that possible? Yes of course , we supply to may trade customers, for bulk pricing please get in touch with our office and we can explain the options available
- Is the slate easy to cut? Slate at 20mm thick is easy enough to cut with an angle grinder that is fitted with a diamond tipped blade. Check out this video for an overview
- Your prices are very competitive - how do you do this and keep to your quality? Good question, we have a shared production facility in Brazil which allows us to keep our costs very low and offer UK customers a really big bang for you buck. In addition increasingly more customers are finding it more cost effective to cut the slate on site if your requirement is reasonably straight-forward.
- Is slate durable? Yes its very durable and resilient, we only sell Brazilian slate for this reason as other imported slates do not have the same qualities.
- Are slate hearths easy to clean? In short yes, simply dust off ay ash with a dustpan and brush and use soapy water to wash it down. Finish by cleaning with clean water to take remove the soapy solution and ensure that its clean and dry. To bring the slate back to that "new" appearance apply some teak to the surface - don't allow the oil to pool on the surface
- Are your items rejects? No not at all. All of our products are directly imported from our overseas quarry and factories, so therefore we control the quality first hand. This ensures you’re getting great quality at a great price.
I’m seeing patches on my slabs, especially after it’s rained – what is this?
All natural stones have pores and therefor they all absorb water – it’s simply a case that some stones absorb more water than others.
Secondly, the installation method for natural stone must ensure the slabs are laid on a full bed of mortar so that the mortar is fully in contact with the entire area of the stone. It’s not recommended to use spot bedding, ring bedding and other uneven mortar to support slab. This is sometimes referred to as “dot and dab” and this method tends to emphasis the patchy areas.
All natural stones may at times look patchy on the surface, especially after rain fall, each will dry out over a period of time but this is subject to ambient conditions and any specific characteristics of the ground on which they’re laid. This appearance therefore is natural and not a defect of the stone but simply characteristic of how stone behaves in these conditions. As this behaviour is largely based on the installation method and the ground characteristics we can’t take responsibility for the appearance of the stone where such patches may appear.
- I’m a contractor, how could I work with your company? We offer very competitive cash and carry prices that will suit many trade customers who can organise their own collection from our distribution centres. We can also offer trade terms to customers who are buying regularly from us and also offer direct contact with our senior management team who will oversee your account and keep you updated with all current offers – basically you’ll be the first to know and our aim is to keep you as competitive as we can.
- How close to the actual colour of the product are the pictures? The pictures are as close to the actual product as digital photography and individual monitors will allow. If you’re in doubt please feel free to request a sample because natural stone does varies slightly in colour, tone, texture and grain in every batch.
- Does the final price include VAT & free delivery? Yes, all prices in our online shop include VAT & free delivery to most areas. We always issue a VAT invoice upon request and don't hide “VAT & delivery charge" by only calculating this during checkout. It’s important to us that we display transparent pricing from start to finish so you can make an informed decision.
- How do I get an ETA/tracking information? In most instances our delivery partner will send updates via email and/or SMS to keep you updated regarding delivery.
- Can I visit you to view the product? Yes, you’re more than welcome to visit us by prior appointment. We’re based in Milton Keynes and open Monday to Friday between 8am - 4pm. Please note that we hold our products in multiple distribution centres and therefore before arranging a visit we would suggest you contact us first so we can advise you what products are available to view and where it’s best to view them.
- I’m a stone dealer; can I apply to join your network? Yes, of course. We’d love to have you as part of our network so feel free to call us on 01908 464 656 or email email@example.com and let’s see what we can do for you.
- How does payment work? We take security very seriously so all of your payments will be securely operated by Shopify Pay including Apple Pay, Google Pay, Visa, Master, Amex and PayPal. Once funds are cleared, delivery can take up to 5 working days to MOST UK postcodes.
I can’t find the answer to my question above, can I speak to someone?
Yes of course. Our friendly team is more than happy to help with any questions you may have. Just call 01908 464 656 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re open from Monday to Friday between 8am - 4.00pm. Weekends by prior arrangement
- All prices include VAT and delivery to most UK areas - see delivery for more information
- Please also review our online checklist - this will ensure a smooth purchase online, it covers those often asked questions for your peace of mind. If you are unsure of any aspect, please do get in touch and one of our team will be happy to assist you.
- If you need any help or advice please call us anytime on 01908 46 46 56 - we have a 24/7 live answering service so you can be assured your call will be answered
- If you prefer to send a message why not use our convenient WhatsApp messenger or Facebook messenger app where you can send a message directly from your mobile. It's the little green phone icon at the bottom left of the screen or the blue one at the right. One of our team will respond within a few hours - sometimes a few minutes!